2007/01/03

Reaction to the death of a dictator

Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations, on his first day of work: "Saddam Hussein was responsible for committing heinous crimes and unspeakable atrocities against Iraqi people and we should never forget victims of his crime," he said. "The issue of capital punishment is for each and every member state to decide." "As the secretary-general, at the same time, while I am firmly against impunity, I also hope that members of the international community should pay due regard to all aspects of international humanitarian laws. During my entire tenure, I'll try my best to help member states, international community, to strengthen the rule of law," he said. "The Iraqi people and government have taken their steps to address their past," Ban replied, "and I hope that international community should also understand the stakes and try to build rule of law nationally and internationally."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home